Class Emails

From Projects: The Cooper Union
Revision as of 10:43, 15 January 2018 by Caseyg (talk | contribs) (add emails (w/o attachments yet))
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Archive of email announcements to the class.

Contents

12/11/17: Class 43: In-Class Reading & Recaps

Hi Projects class 🌬❄,

We'll meet this week (12/11/17) for our second to last class of the Fall semester, 2pm in room 901 NAB!

If you have not yet, please submit your responses to the following assignments. We'll collect them again in class or you can use the link below:

-1 page about your project, a project you think is worth pursuing or speculative, or approach to this course (individual, group, or otherwise)

-No more than 3 pages typed coming out of your interview with a fellow class member. This can range from transcription to summary and might can include any annotations or additional resources worth appending!

-1 page thoughts, proposals, notes, etc on a possible interaction with Freshmen Projects (a single 3-hour seminar with the entire SoA Freshmen class on a Monday evening this Spring semester). Your idea doesn't need to be confined to the format of a single class visit but that's likely all we'll have official bandwidth to accommodate.

You can submit a PDF or DOC of these files here, or just reply to the email with an attachment: 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/M5gzzxQg7Wg3a2Pt16NZ

*Though some people have partial copies of the group interviews we'd like to to collate and distribute a more complete version before the end of the semester so please get your responses in if you have not already!*

----

This week:

We'll start off by doing a short reading together, followed by a discussion, of 'Postscript on the Societies of Control*' by Gilles Deleuze. Copies will be distributed in class but for your record the PDF is attached below. Hopefully we can use the text as a lens to ground some of our previous visits, observations, and projects.

We'll open the floor to hear back from anyone involved in the Ivory Tower screening and Archive Club event from this past Friday. There will be time to share news of any updates on ongoing or desired future projects and the general going's on around Cooper.

Walid will wrap up class by sharing a bit about his most recent trip to Saudi Arabia, what he was doing there and how it relates to some of his other work on relationship and proliferation of arts and other institutions/systems in the United Arab Emirates, here at Cooper, and by extension-- beyond.

12/4/17: reminder: no class today!

Hi Projects class,

Quick reminder that we're not having class today.

See you on Friday at the Ivory Tower Screening & Community Meet-Up organized by Vic, Jake, Kiersten, Anton, and crew. The event is Free and Public, so spread the word! (10/8/17 from 6-10pm in the Rose Auditorium & Lobby.) Invite with all the details is attached.

12/3/17: Class 42: *No Class*

Hi Projects class 🏝,

There's no class meeting this week (12/4/17)!

----

This week:

Please use this opportunity to catch up on any of the reflection assignments from this semester:

-1 page about your project, a project you think is worth pursuing or speculative, or approach to this course (individual, group, or otherwise)

-No more than 3 pages typed coming out of your interview with a fellow class member. This can range from transcription to summary and might can include any annotations or additional resources worth appending!

-1 page thoughts, proposals, notes, etc on a possible interaction with Freshmen Projects (a single 3-hour seminar with the entire SoA Freshmen class on a Monday evening this Spring semester). Your idea doesn't need to be confined to the format of a single class visit but that's likely all we'll have official bandwidth to accommodate.

You can submit a PDF or DOC of these files here, or just reply to the email with an attachment: 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/M5gzzxQg7Wg3a2Pt16NZ

*Though some people have partial copies of the group interviews we'll try to collate and distribute a more complete version before the end of the semester so please get your responses in if you have not already!*

----

Recap of last week (11/27/17): Interviews, Mission & Freshmen Projects

We started off class looking the interview documents submitted so far, those who had a chance to read through them commented on aspects like difference in formatting and editing choices as well as possible resonances in topic and sentiment. The conversation steered itself towards addressing real and perceived anxieties about attending Cooper, being a student, availability or lack thereof resources, and how this might play out differently across the 3 schools.

We revisited our conversation about the college's current mission and what we know of the state of the mission revision process. Walid, Harry, Casey, and Victoria presented a document with proposed language that picks up where the mostly available mission draft left off. We spoke about the emphasis on Enlightenment ideals, the presence of some words and absence of others, as well as highlighted the phrases 'a free education that is free from discrimination' and 'science and art, education and service'.

We wrapped up class by reviewing Dan Foster's proposal for Freshmen seminar since he was the only one to type something up, thanks Dan! 🤗 Many liked the idea of allowing for Q&A as well as the possibility of smaller break out groups, we tended towards nuancing when and what parts of history might be useful to share in this context. If and how to address the education of artists in institutions (particularly those in flux), as well as some terms Dan brought up including 'obligation', 'student body', and 'integration'. Josiah suggested we approach the opportunity by thinking about how we might explain both the FEC report as a document as well as present our approach to decoding the document (sharing related documents, our own research and projects, events, objects, locations, etc).

----

Next Week (12/11/17):

We'll meet at 2pm in 901 of the NAB. Keep an eye on your emails for updates before then & feel free to reply to this thread if *YOU* have updates or anything else to share with the class in the meanwhile!🕵

----

-Many wanted to know more about the 'Mundus Imaginalis' that Walid brought up, [null here is reading] by Henri Corbin that he sent along.

-Relatedly to the development, honing or resurrection of sense and sensory organs I recently came across an interview with Fred Moten in the Brooklyn Rail where he proposes reassessing the 'holosensual field'

-*This* Friday 12/8/17 come check out the screening of Ivory Tower 6:30pm in the Rose Auditorium. We'll be joined by the director Andrew Rossi and Mauricio Higuera who contributed a significant amount of footage to the documentary for a Q&A. There will be food and drinks, archival materials & much more at the reception in the lobby afterwards! Here's the FB event and a graphic designed by Kiersten, if you're around on Friday and want to help set up or just be around you can reply directly to this email!

P.S. If anyone's interested or free it looks like Laura is holding 1 of 4 "Campus Conversations" of the 2017-2018 academic year this Monday in the President's Office (7th floor foundation) from 5-6pm, more info on that here!

The webpage reads:

Open Houses are intended to bring faculty, students and staff together in a casual setting to get to know one another and foster conversations across the institution. Sign up is not necessary. Open Houses will take place in the Office of the President located on the 7th Floor of the Foundation Building. Confirmed dates are listed below:

Tuesday, October 10 | 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.

Monday, December 4 | 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.

Thursday, February 15 | 11:00 - 12:00 p.m.

Wednesday, April 4 | 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.

11/27/17: Class 41: conversations, freshman project, mission

Hi Projects class,

We'll meet today at 2pm in room 901 NAB. 

We'll revisit the mission, discuss the first stack of conversations & distribute new ones, and continue workshopping our encounter with next semester's freshman projects class. 

To ground our discussion, please jot down one page of notes/reflections/ideas for yourself on the idea of a transmission to the incoming class.

🍂

11/20/17: Class 40: Presentations + Discussion (and class recaps)

Hi Projects class, 

We’ll meet today  at 2pm in room 901 NAB. 

Please bring a printed copy of the 3 pages based on your conversation.During the break we’ll make copies for everybody to read and annotate over the coming week. 

Please also submit a PDF or DOC file of your 3 pages here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/M5gzzxQg7Wg3a2Pt16NZ

We’ll start off today with presentations from Sobel, Dempzil, Jake, and Casey.

And we’ll leave the last hour for a class discussion and a possible prompt.

----

Recap of Class 39: Class discussions of Ivory Tower event + Diversity Taskforce + mission rewrite (11/13/2017)

We met at 2pm in 901 NAB. We discussed the Ivory Tower event that Kiersten, Jake, Vic, and others have been working on across groups including ASC and Archive Club — now scheduled for Friday, December 8. It will combine a screening, discussion with director Andrew Rossi, community reception, archive fundraiser, and collaborative publication. The discussion touched on the shape of the event, how it has come together and what it takes to pull off, the way school resources are allocated, and what the content of the publication might be.

We then heard about developments related to the Diversity Taskforce, co-chaired by Toni Torres and Sam Keene. We discussed the origin of this initiative and previous ones, the composition and structure of the taskforce, the role students play in and outside of committees, and some of the terms and approaches introduced by Toni in our previous class.

In closing we returned to a discussion of the ongoing rewriting of Cooper’s mission, which we have previously spoken about in class with Peter Buckley, and spent severalclasses workshopping together last semester.

----

Recap of Class 38: Discussion with Toni Torres, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Effectiveness + Interview project (10/30/2016)

We met at 2pm in 901 NAB. We were joined by Toni Torres, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Effectiveness. She presented some background on her studies at UC Berkeley and career including serving as Vice Provost at Drexel University and as an independent consultant. She spoke of the broader charge of her role at Cooper as creating a student-centric culture and climate, and her day-to-day of work like reporting data to federal agencies.

We discussed kinds of data Cooper generates and tracks including: information on entering freshmen; exit surveys and alumni surveys; and data from departments across Cooper such as rankings, retention, grades, giving, and employment rates. Toni spoke about better articulating how data is defined and working on more complete data collection, towards an integrated framework of institutional research and evaluation.

She introduced many terms such as a “student lifecycle approach” and “Theory of Change” model, as well as research methods like focus groups. She also shared some of the people whose writings and concepts have influenced her approach, including: Alexander Astin and Vincent Tinto on student success and belonging, Claude Steele on Stereotype threatCarol Dweck on mindset, and Albert Bandura on agency. 

Toni was kind enough to send along a 3 page bibliography of research and publications she thinks may be useful to the class — see attached.

----

If you’re interested in questions around “dataification”, I’d recommend listening to this panel discussion from ”New Topics in Social Computing: Data and Education”, which took place in 2015 at Eyebeam in Brooklyn, and was moderated by Joanne McNeil.

11/15/17: re: No class today + interviews due next week

Hi all-

A few quick updates!

**Jake, Kiersten &I have moved the reservation of the Rose auditorium for the screening of Ivory Tower from the evening of Thurs Nov 30th to Friday DECEMBER 8th- partially this will allow a bit more time for outreach, work better with the schedules of engineers & still accommodate the director Andrew Rossi for a Q&A before the community reception/archive fundraiser in the lobby.**

Kiersten and I (and whoever else is interested/available, we've heard from a few!) are going to bunker down starting today 11/15/17 @6pm in room 604 of foundation to look at some older/recent documents and think through some ideas presented by the class and at the smaller discussion re: publication after class and we'd be happy to work alongside anyone! we'll particularly be trying to pin down what's worth synthesizing in these times, thinking about what might or might not be self-evident and working on a timeline and looking at what's publicly available. 

~9pm Archive club is gathering in the same room, so if you'v been interested but not made it out yet pop by 604!

11/6/17: No class today + interviews due next week

Hey all,

Just a quick reminder that we have no class today, but the three pages of interview material are due next week. Please print a copy and bring it to class.

If you haven't been in touch with your interviewee yet, you should schedule some time to talk with them ASAP. More info, interviewee assignments, & contact info are in the attached PDFs.

The class wiki is also now up to date with some of our recent class meetings (35363738), emails, and visitors (mitchellrichard, and toni). (And you're welcome to also contribute your own notes & documentation there.)

Have a good week!

10/30/17: Re: Class 38 (Attachments: Admissions, FEC, and Jalal Toufic)

Hi All,

I'm also attaching the presentation file shared with us by Mitchell Lipton from 2 weeks ago, as well as the financial spreadsheets Anton re-created for anyone to poke around through. Jalal Toufic's writings, which are often referenced in class are all available for download as PDF here.  If you've got other resources we've missed or that you need let us all know and we can try to source or link them.

10/30/17: Re: Class 38 (Interview assignment)

See attached for the conversation assignment, with 3 pages of synthesis due November 13. 

Also attaching some interview questions generated by the class today. 

Everybody please be in touch with your interviewee to schedule a conversation outside of class in the coming week.

Also, a quick reminder: no class next week on November 6.

If you missed today and have questions, feel free to be in touch with Casey/Vic/Harry/Walid to ask any questions.

Chalkboard of some questions for interview assignment.jpg
Projects -- Conversation.pdf
Some possible conversation questions.pdf

10/30/17: Class 38: Toni Torres, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Effectiveness + 100&Cooper Application

Hi Projects class 🍂,

We'll meet today at 2pm in room 901 NAB. In the first half of class we'll be visited by Antoinette (Toni) Torres, the Director of Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Effectiveness. She is a new addition to the President's Office and as mentioned in Laura's Welcome (Back) Message, Toni will co-chair a Diversity and Inclusion Task Force along with Sam Keene, Professor of Electrical Engineering who was also a part of drafting new mission language and involved in ongoing Middle States Accreditation.

In the second half of class we'll discuss and workshop a prompt for the coming two weeks. 

- - -

Reminders:

📣 If you have any announcements for the class email, feel free to write to Vic, Casey, Harry & Walid. We are happy to send them around! 

📝 If you haven't submitted your initial 2 pages and related materials, Vic is collecting those files — please email her at v.g.sobel@gmail.com. Once we have everybody's files in we will share them with the class.

- - -

100&Cooper applications due Nov. 19

If you missed Mary (Dwyer)'s info session on 100&Cooper on Friday, the slides are attached, and Mary can say a bit more in class and answer any questions. In a sequence of two new HSS classes organized by Mary, Ariana, and 4 other students in collaboration with Laura students will study the landscape of higher education in the United States and apply, as a class, for a $100 million MacArthur Foundation grant, "that promises real and measurable progress in solving a critical problem of our time." Classes will be taught by Nicholas Tampio and Andrew Sparks, as well as Peter Buckley (who will also review applications and select participants).

Applications to be part of the 100&Cooper class are open through November 19 at 11:59pm to dwyer@cooper.edu, Subject: Application Request.

Mary Dwyer presenting on 100&Cooper.jpg
100 & Cooper Info Session.pdf

- - -

Last week (10/23/17):

We had a wide-ranging two-and-a-half hour conversation with Richard Stock, Dean of Engineering. We discussed Richard's history at Cooper as professor and former union president; the current dean search and past dean searches; the day-to-day of running a school, as well as the larger work of "cleaning up", examining systems and trying to streamline them, and implementing policies where they're missing; similarities and differences between the School of Art and School of Engineering, from governance, to curriculum, to admissions; missions and culture, or what makes Cooper "Cooper"; what the future holds for the school of engineering, with modernization of curriculum and teaching styles to reflect a changing world; and we also debated two approaches to getting out of debt, at length: slow and steady vs. an immediate and drastic reformatting to operate within one's means.

10/23/17: Class 37: *Room Change 901 CS* & Class Visit with Dean of Engineering Richard Stock & Class Presentations

Hi Projects class✨,

We'll be meeting today @ 2pm in room 901CS (corner classroom, 9th floor NAB). Class will be split this week between a visitor presentation and the continuation of class discussion!

As always we'll bring some refreshments & since we'll all be talking and listening for most of this session as well please bring some fruits or drinks to share if you can!🍎🎃🍵

- - -

This week (10/23/17): 

In the first half of class we'll be visited by Dean of the Engineering School Richard Stock. Richard is a professor of Chemical Engineer, former President of the Faculty Union (CUFCT), and served as Acting Dean of the School of Engineering starting in 2015. An interview with Richard on cooper.edu (2016) can be found here.

In the second half of class, we'll begin review presentations and coordinate meetings/field trips, visits and events.

- - -

Last week (10/16/17): 

We were visited by Vice President of Enrollment Services Mitchell Lipton. Mitchell oversees much of the admissions process, now called "Enrollment Services" and has been at Cooper since 1997. He presented on changes to the Admissions department since the decision to charge tuition in 2014, as well as commented on trends in applications, recruitment, and acceptance raters.  A previous profile of Mitchell for cooper.edu (2012) can be found here.

We also heard from Mary, Julian, and Amelia wrapping up our first round of class presentations. If you haven't already please email in the 1 page of writing that accompanied your presentation.

Mitchell Lipton, Vice President of Enrollment Services, presenting to Projects class.jpg
Mary presenting research on Yaddo.jpg

- - -

Two classes ago (10/9/17):

We began to share ongoing and new projects and areas of interest/research. If you have not yet emailed a copy of the 1 page of writing that accompanied please make sure to send it in! We'll continue to workshop together the resonances of everyones research and proposals for the rest of the semester/year.

Cecilia presenting on her work.jpg
Student presentations.jpg

- - -

Next week (10/30/17):

We'll be visited by Antoinette Torres, the Director of Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Effectiveness. She is a new addition to the President's Office and as mentioned in Laura's Welcome (Back) Message Antoinette will co-chair a Diversity and Inclusion Task Force along with Sam Keene, Professor of Electrical Engineering who was also a part of drafting new mission language and involved in ongoing Middle States Accreditation.

10/3/17: Class 34: Class Visit with Acting Dean, Associate Professor Peter Buckley

Hi Projects class✨,

Thanks to all who made it yesterday to hear Peter Buckley speak on the state of the Mission, HSS and his take on Cooper history as it relates to our present day situation. We'll be meeting next week @ 2pm on Monday in room 414 Fdn for our first round of class presentations!

Please prepare 5 minutes material to share with us about where your synapses have been firing, what more you want to know, loose ends, or any places you've begun to dig. We're asking in addition to the 5 minutes of shared material that you prepare and bring in 1 page of typed material (& copies for the class if possible) as an exercise in having a point of record for where we're all starting off!

As always we'll bring some snacks & since we'll all be talking and listening for most of this session please bring some fruits or drinks to share if you can! ☕☕☕

- - -

This week (10/2/17): 

We had a chance to talk to Peter Buckley as he enters into his new role as Acting Dean of the Faculty of Humanities. He's previously visited the class to talk about "Strategic Planning" as it relates to the current re-writing of the Mission, as well as more generally on the historic misunderstanding and inversions of language throughout the history of the institution and higher education.

We spoke a good deal about accreditation, the humanities, turns in American higher and existing and possible examples of experimental/radical restructuring of other colleges. Peter clued us in on some possible upcoming opportunities to address our "common" experiences in the coming weeks & you can read a Pioneer profile on him here, see what he had to say to Vice about the lawsuit here, and refresh yourself on past missions and accreditation reports he had a hand in here.

Peter Buckley presenting to Projects class, Fall 2017.jpg
Slide from a presentation by Peter Buckley- "Are we a union of anything?".jpg

- - -

Recap from the last class (9/26/17)

Last week we met in 414 before meeting up with Katie Blumenkrantz to tour the Cooper Archives where she explained the state and make up of the collection, how it currently functions and her hopes for expanding its availability to the community and to researchers via campus initiatives and continued upkeep of the card catalog system. The Library maintains an active twitter and facebook page.

We met back up to map out people's studio and work spaces over the years, when we have a chance we'll walk together to see where we've been and where we're going. We then met up with Steven Hillyer, Chris Dierks, and Caitlin Biggers to hear more about John Hedjuk, the renovation of the Foundation building, relocation of the archive, its function over the years and its current effort to roll out a massive digitization & research tool for a subset of curated student work, an initiative independently funded by outside grants as part of the School of Architecture's Strategic Planning. The accompanying show for this initiative will be @ Cooper in October 2018.

Katie Blumenkrantz presents to Projects class.jpg
Steven Hillyer, Caitlin Biggers, and Chris Dierks presenting to the Projects class in the Architecture Archive .jpg

- - -

Next week (10/9/17):

Come prepared to talk, share, and listen, we'll be joined by a few more extended Projects members. If we have time at the end of presentations we can begin our workspace walk through of the 2 buildings or set a date outside of class to get this done!

- - -

Reminders & Notes:

  • "A writer is at the juncture of absolute aloneness, which is not to be reduced to sociological and/or psychological solitude; and absolute collaboration, which is not to be reduced to an explicit cooperation with other artists, with the audience, or even with nature."- Jalal Toufic Distracted 2nd edition 
  • The Board of Trustees just held their fall meeting last week on Sept 27, we can speak to Mary, Julian & Walid among others about this.
  • Following the archive visit some students from class have formed Cooper Union Archive and Exhibition Club they'll be working "to give products directly to the archive or to help fundraise for the future", you can talk to Anton, Kiersten, Faye & Julian for more!
  • Anton is interested in following in Emily's footsteps and producing the yearbook for the graduating class of 2018! Students produce entirely unique yearbooks (available in the archive) with support from the Office of Communications/Mindy Lang.
  • While the Model of the Foundation Building is still on campus I'd like to hold an event bringing the 4th year architects who built it as freshmen together to share the life of the project so far, hopefully in late October please let me know if you are interested.
  • In advance of the community summit we hope to organize as a class in the Spring, Jake, Kiersten, myself and a few others are working to host a community screening of Ivory Tower in collaboration with student councils and Student affairs, we could use some help!
  • If anyone is interested in or proficient in casting we have an opportunity to collaborate withAndrew Wilhelm's Casting techniques class to recast the street lights around the foundation building which are rumored to have been repaired by students in the foundry of the shop at the old Hewitt Building during a recession!
  • Owen is hosting a screening of Abbas Kiarostami's 'Close-Up' (1990) this friday @6pm in room 215 if anyone is interested.
Poster for screening of Abbas Kiarostami's 'Close-Up' (1990) hosted by Owen and Anime Club.png

9/25/17: Class 33: Visit to the Cooper Archives & the Architecture Archive + Studio and Workspace Walkthru

Hi Projects class✨,

Apologies for the last minute email, we'll be meeting today at 2pm in room 414 for foundation. Come caffeinated, we're bringing some cookies. We'll be doing a bit of walking to the archives and then through people's work spaces!

- - -

This week:

Following our weekly round up of observations/updates/questions/developments/etc we'll all head downstairs to meet up withKatie Blumenkrantz for a guided look at The Cooper Archives, we'll look at some material's Katie's pulled as well as talk about the history/present function of the archive and it's contents, what types of materials can be entered and who can have access.

We'll take a quick break and meet back in the lobby @3:40 to head upto meet with Steven Hillyer, alum of the Architecture school, instructor & director of the Architecture Archive. He will show us their collection, and talk about their new digital archive of student work funded by a federal grant.

See also, this video conversation between three of the school's archivists.

We'll wrap up with a walk through the Foundation & NAB to take a peek at where you've all had studio and work spaces over the years.

- - -

Recap from the last class (9/18/17):

We spoke with Interim Director of Finance and Administration Keith Stokeld and heard from Walid a bit about the entanglement of financial/investment & real-estate dealings as they relate to Cooper on the individual to corporate and domestic to global scale.

Interim Director of Finance and Administration Keith Stokeld presents to Projects class.jpg
Interim Director of Finance and Administration Keith Stokeld walks Projects class through reading a balance sheet.jpg
Walid presents on real estate and financial entanglement of Chrysler Building.jpg

Please continue to review the documents assigned last week as they'll be coming up frequently and we should all be logging our questions! For comparisons sake here are two relevant class meetings from last year with Bill Mea (former interim President and CFO) and a follow up with Chris Cloud (then VP of Development)- those who were there can offer insights as to how the numbers and narratives have shifted or stayed the same.

- - -

Next week:

We'll be visited by Peter Buckley, Associate Professor and Acting Dean of Humanities who has also played an integral roll in maintaining Cooper's historical documents and context. He's participated in many committees and most recently was on the committee convened to revise the mission under the umbrella of "strategic planning" and has previously chaired the school wide accreditation process (see his involvement in these documents)

Please begin preparing for our presentation cycle on October 9th, we're asking that everyone prepare roughly 5 minutes to share with the class as well as a typed page of notes and writing about your interests, observations, etc as an exercise in getting it down on the page.

- - -

Reminders & Notes:

We'll try to have Mauricio in soon along with other Projects class alums to talk about some of what they are working on these days. I'm including a link to his collective New Santuary NYC  which held and will continue to hold Vigils for those affected by old and new immigration reforms. Below are a few pictures from the first half of the vigil. 

Text from Sanctuary Vigil.jpg
Sanctuary Vigil.jpg

If you’re around on Tuesday, September 26th at 6pm, there will be a memorial service in the Great Hall for Adrian Jovanovic, who passed away earlier this year.

Adrian was a graduate of the class of 1989, an Alumni Trustee, and a founder of the Committee to Save Cooper Union. He fought for the preservation of free tuition at Cooper Union and was one of our community’s greatest advocates for “getting back to free.” We collaborated with David Gersten and the students who built the model of the Foundation Building to bring the model back down to Cooper from upstate- it was partially set up at the Block Party and we'll be setting it up @ 4:30pm tomorrow Tues 26th for the memorial if anyone wants to lend a hand.

David Gersten with the Foundation Model .jpg

ps We're collating some Block Party documentation, if you missed it you can see some pix from the alumni here!

Jake with the Peter Cooper pillow.jpg
Kiersten and Ariana at the Peter Cooper Block Party.jpg

9/17/17: Class 32: Class Visit with Interim Director of Finance & Administration Keith Stokeld and Presentation on Cooper Finances and 2018 by Walid Raad

Hi Projects class✨,

We're looking forward to seeing you again @ 2pm on Monday in room 414 Fdn. for our second class of the semester! We'll bring some light refreshments but this works best as more of a potlucked effort from week to week so please bring something to share if you are able! 

- - -

This week:

We'll be visited in the first half of class by the 'Interim Director of Finance & Administration' Keith Stokeld. Though we've prepared some general questions to guide our conversation with Keith, this is really our opportunity to get a better sense about about the nature of Keith's new role following the departure of Bill Mea (Vice President of Finance and Administration) as well as Keith's views on all things Finance and Cooper. Please try to prepare some questions- no question is too small!

In the second half of class Walid will walk us through some of Cooper's public financial documents- we'll isolate, track, and compare certain budget items, go over financial terms together, and discuss the interrelatedness of finances to pedagogy, mission, and the lawsuit documents. If you get a chance please review:

- - -

Recap from the first class (9/11/17):

For our first class meeting we briefly began to introduce ourselves via school, year, and general interests. We also went over some of how the previous two semesters of Projects were structured and played out. We reviewed some of the current/significant/binding documents impacting the college and the community as well as some of the committee structures that came out of the Lawsuit negotiation between Cooper Union, the Committee to save Cooper Union, and the office of the Attorney General. We also revisited the language of the course description and how this class came into existence.

As a reminder, the class has been and is comprised of students from all 3 schools (across the years) as well as alumni and other interested participants including exchange students! We'll continue to work on building a shared understanding of what and how this college functions—if there are terms or documents or materials that seem confusing, missing, or need clarification please feel free to being them up before, during, or after class or via email!

In the second half of class we discussed a portion of the Lawsuit documents called the Consent Decree which in part mandated the appointment of faculty and staff representatives to the Board of Trustees and related committees. These participants have been deemed 'Observers' because their role is limited to that of an adviser with no voting power on board or committee decisions. We invited to class and heard from Amy WestphalToby Cumberbatch, and Walid Raad about their experiences as current observers.

Amy Westphal in discussion Projects Class.jpg

- - -

Next week:

We will meet @ 2pm on Monday in room 414 Fdn. before walking over to the Cooper Union Archives to meet with Katie Blumenkrantz and then to the Architecture Archive to meet with Steven Hillyer.

Following the archives we'd like to walk together to see all of your studio and study spaces, maybe we'll drop a trail of breadcrumbs....🐁

- - -

Reminders & Notes:

  • The class wiki is hosted here✨, you can find information, links, documents and pictures from most of the last 2 semesters! All of the previous class emails are hosted here
  • All of the lawsuit documents are currently being hosted on Cooper's website here, a previous Board Chair's official statement are here.
  • The Free Education Committee was formed as one of the many results of the lawsuit, their periodic updates, reports and committee members can be found here.
  • An older essay by Walid about leveraging the community's actionable means is worth revisiting here. The disorientation website hosts an archive of toolkits and essays by other community members and was regularly updated from 2013-2015 and can be explored here.
  • Many Projects class members are involved in hosting the 4th annual Peter Cooper Block party, we're reprising our role having hosted it last year amidst the construction rubble! The theme this year is 'Mission! Means! Union!" and will be outside the foundation building on Saturday September 23rd from 12-5pm 😜.

Peter Cooper Block Party flyer.jpg

Save The Whales bumper sticker.png

8/23/17: Projects Class, Fall 2017 🕵️‍♀️

On a "mission" we never expected...

To a world we never imagined...

An adventure we'll never forget...

Projéctsmon.jpg

Hey all,

We're emailing YOU because you're alums and/or auditors who've mentioned some interest in the Projects Class this fall. This semester we're scheduled for Mondays from 2-5pm in 414 Foundation, and our first class is Monday, September 11.

Please respond with a YES if you're available in that timeslot & up for continuing on, so that we can get a sense of our roster, and also see about getting you guest passes or building access.

If you're a MAYBE...we wanted to underscore that we know people who aren't in school are wrangling chaotic work schedules while also trying to make time for personal projects, and we'd like to find ways of folding in non-student participation that're more flexible than the expectations of being an enrolled student, while still allowing for reliable group inquiry and the development of individual/class projects. 

We're still figuring out what it looks like to have a class with durational non-students, so let us know if you have thoughts on how it could work for you and we can build around that. 

Alsooo, if there are people on your mind who you think *should* be in the class that aren't yet, feel free to recommend some names. It all takes a bit of coordination on our part, so it's not totally open, but we'd like for the group to be able to expand & contract in ways that makes sense.

Projects 2017 concept

We've been scheming with Walid throughout the summer and we're planning for this year to be pretty different, with minimal repetition of past visits/guests/etc. 

In cases where we DO re-visit familiar things, like the archives, we want to consider what it means for people like ourselves to be coming back to these same rooms and materials year-after-year??

Sisu Monument.jpg

In the way that we devoted a bunch of class time last semester to following and deconstructing the rewriting of the mission, we have some new ideas for projects involving the whole class. One is the idea of doing a case study of one of the schools. Another is planning a larger community event around understanding the lawsuit and CSCU's work, as they relate to ongoing committees and the 2018 Free Education Report deadline and Chrysler rent bump.

For an early heads up on the reading, we're planning on producing spiral bound copies of the Cross-Petition for everybody in the class, and dividing it up into sections early on to finally all close-read and analyze as a class.

First Class

Monday, September 11

2-5pm

414 Foundation

Come through, and if you'd like to give a hot take on what you have been pursuing in the class or anywhere in your work, there will be time for that during intros.

In the second half of class, most of the faculty/staff Board Observers (Yuri Masnyj, Amy Westphal, Toby Cumberbatch, & Walid) will report back and take questions on their role in the committees they sit on and their participation, which came out of the lawsuit.

September Quarry Trip

We're going to rent a van again and head up to Brownstone Park, either on Labor Day 9/4 or the following weekend 9/9. Let us know your availability for both dates, if you're in for a day of chill waterpark fun and lowkey material history. Tickets are ~$36 for the day including UnLiMiTeD ziplining, and we'll all our split gas/car expenses.

Quarry Trip 2016.jpg

Final section (SORRY for the longest email ever)

We are STILL working on the book. We got contributions from everybody and think it'll be amazing. We're also updating the wiki continuously with expanded documentation as we pull it together:

http://projectsthecooperunion.wiki/

We'll be floating around, scheming and working on orientation, block party (sept 26!), lawsuit event, and a TBD inaugural event. If you want to get together or know more on any of those fronts, just let us know!

🐜 🐜 🐜 

Casey and Vic

Etymology of "Project".png

5/7/17: Class 30: publication, potluck, recap, summer plans

Hey Projects class,

See you on Monday at 2pm for our final class of the semester 🙀

We'll do snacks potluck-style, so feel free to bring something to share!

Please bring in the spreads you've submitted & any other materials you'd like to include in the class publication. We can look over everything together, with the aim of turning the publication out by the end of May.

We can also spend some time re-capping the year, if anyone has reflections to share.

And we can talk about ☀️ summer project plans ☀️ — seeing who's around & thinking about what's helpful in terms of moving things forward, until we reconvene as a class in the fall.

4/26/17: Today! Free Education Committee gathering 6-8pm @ Fish House, Film Festival 9pm-12am @ Rose

Hey Projects class,

Two quick reminders: 

The Free Education Committee is hosting a "Community Gathering" just for students, tonight from 6-8pm at the Fish House. We know some of you have class, but please attend if you're able!

Free Education Committee conversation.jpg

And the Cooper Union Film Festival begins tonight, from 9-midnight @ Rose Auditorium 

✨✨✨ 

Congrats Rachel, Magnus, Dempzil, and everyone involved! Looking forward to it.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1689796351321577/

https://vimeo.com/213244317

Opening night is tonight!!! Films by Alex Tomlinson, Brianna Leathurbury, Ida Pruitt, Sam Rosner, Paloma Stephanie Izquierdo Alomá, Dempzil Chavian, and Gilberto Mena! Drinks following the screening!

4/20/17: Class 28: publication, 5 minutes, mission + gersten talk tonight, upcoming buckley visit, and film festival

Hey Projects class,

We'll see you on Monday 4/24 at 2pm.

Please bring in some initial materials, sketches, and drafts for a class publication/reader, which we'll risograph! Some ideas: a short reading that feels relevant, sketches, notes, proposals, writings, or something new. As a starting point, the dimension of each page is 8.5x11 in (letter), and we're thinking that it's feasible for everybody to have 4 pages across 2 spreads, like below. Together we can look at it all and move forward from there!

- - -

We'll also continue our 5 minute presentations, from those who haven't gone yet, as several people have volunteered to present this week. We'll go around really fast with everyone, too, to consolidate whose projects are coming to an end before the academic year, and ask everyone to specify if you're working collaboratively with others in the class and/or if you need help.

Registration is coming up and we will continue projects in the same time slot, Monday 2-5. We welcome anybody in the class who's graduating to continue on with us!

- - -

Finally, time-permitting, we'd like to continue our work on the mission. Re-attaching the 35 page reading on the purpose of a mission, from last week's email. On May 1st, we'll be joined by Peter Buckley, who served both then and now as the chair of mission-related committees. So if there are any questions coming up, maybe we can formulate some topics in advance of his visit.

If you missed part I of David Gersten's lectures on John Hejduk yesterday, please try to attend the Part II tonight (Thursday) at 6pm in room 315 fdn. He mentioned that it'll tie back to Cooper and education, so it seems relevant to our discussions.

- - 

Also, Rachel and Magnus and others have been working on the Cooper Film Festival, which is coming up next week. See attached for a draft poster. And please help spread the word!

https://www.facebook.com/cooperunionfilmfestival

Film Festival Poster.jpg

p.s. If you're around on Sunday, alumnus Barry Drogin is leading his annual visit to Peter Cooper's grave site at Green-Wood Cemetery. Recommended, if you haven't been yet!

Join fellow alumni at the Annual Visit to Green-Wood Cemetery, final resting place of Peter Cooper.

Rain or shine, appropriate activities planned.

WHEN: Sunday April 23rd, 2017 at 3pm

WHERE: Green-Wood Cemetery

Meet at the 9th Avenue (Prospect Park West) Entrance at 20th Street

(F Train to 15th Street)

VENUE CONTACT INFO:http://www.green-wood.com/hours-directions-rules/

COST INVOLVED: Free

RSVP by date: Friday, April 21, 2017

RSVP to: Barry Drogin, EE ’83,barry@notnicemusic.com

CUAA@GREEN-WOOD.jpg

PETER COOPER

PATRIOT. PHILANTHROPIST. SAGE

PIONEER UNDER THE FREE

INSTITUTIONS OF A NEW NATION IN WORKS OF

INDUSTRIAL ENTERPRISE

AND OF FAR SIGHTED BENEVELENCE.

FOUNDER OF THE COOPER UNION

FOR THE ADVANCEMENT

OF SCIENCE AND ART, WHICH HE

CONCEIVED WHEN A POOR

APPRENTICE AND REALIZED

AFTER MANY YEARS OF

SACRIFICE AND DEVOTION

THUS BECOMING THE FIRST

IN AMERICA PERSONALLY

TO ADMINSTER LARGE PRIVATE

FORTUNE FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD.

DISTINGUISEHED AS

MUNICIPAL LEGISLATOR

INVENTOR, MECHANIC,

AND MANUFACTURER,

HE WAS A LEADER IN PROVIDING

HIS NATIVE CITY WITH ITS POLICE

AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS,

ITS PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM

AND THE CROTON WATER.

HE DESIGNED AND CONSTRUCTED

THE FIRST STEAM LOCOMOTIVE

BUILT IN AMERICA:

RECEIVED THE BESSEMER MEDAL

AS THE FATHER OF THE

AMERICAN IRON TRADE,

WAS ONE OF THE ORIGINATORS

OF THE TRANSATLANTIC CABLE

AND FURNISHED THE MEANS

BY WHICH THIS UNDERTAKING

WAS REVIVED AND ACCOMPLISHED.

SIMPLE AND DEVOUT IN SPIRIT,

INDUSTRIOUS AND HONORABLE IN BUSINESS,

HE DEVOTED HIS GENIUS AND ENERGY

NOT MORE TO USEFUL

PRIVATE ENTERPRISES

THAN TO THE DIRECT SERVICE OF

MANKIND, CHIEFLY THROUGH THE

GIFT OF EDUCATION, WHICH

LEADS TO SELF-HELP, SELF-RESPECT

AND GOOD CITIZENSHIP.

INSPIRED BY FAITH

IN INFINITE LOVE WORKING

THROUGH IMMUTABLE LAW,

HE LIVED TO A GREAT AGE

IN THE GRATITUDE AND AFFECTION

OF HIS FELLOW MEN.

BORN FEBRUARY 12, 1791

DIED APRIL 4, 1883

IN HIS NINETY-THIRD YEAR.

4/14/17: Class 27: Visit to Whitney Biennial + required reading

Hey Projects class,

This Monday we'll meet at 2pm outside the Whitney Museum (99 Gansevoort St) to check out the 2017 Biennial together.

We'll need to enter as a group, so please arrive on time! And if you can respond ASAP to me with a quick YES or NO on if you'll be joining us Monday, that'll help us logistically.

- - -

Following up on our workshopping of the mission statement, see attached for ~30 pages of required reading excerpted from The Cooper Union: Institutional Self-Study Report, 1998.

The Cooper Union- Institutional Self-Study Report, 1998.pdf

- - -

Later this week, David Gersten is giving two talks at Cooper about John Hejduk: on Tuesday April 18th from 10am-noon, and on Thursday April 20th from 6pm-8pm. Both will be in Room 315 of the Foundation building. Highly recommended! See attached for the poster.

Gersten Hejduk Talks.jpg

4/9/17: Class 26: 5 min presentations (continued) + mission hour + studio visits

Hi Projects class! This week:

〰️

Continuing 5 min presentations from anybody who didn't go last week.

Spending another hour on the mission, together. Here're Vic's notes from our discussion two weeks ago, as well as the lists of words that we all narrowed down last week: https://app.simplenote.com/publish/GdsTd7

We had mentioned maybe focusing on generating new language this week, so please bring any ideas to that end, as well as other ideas on how to deepen our workshopping of the mission going forward.

Here's another link to Julie Castelluzzo's 60 pages of mission research:

http://library.cooper.edu/tf/mission-vision_1988-2015.pdf

🔗

On the subject on generating language, Stefany sent along this link to Roget's visual concept-neighborhood-thesaurus: http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html

(If anybody else has links/references to share, feel free to reply-all, or just email me and I will collect 'em in the next class email.)

We'll see some of you for studio visits before & after class:

11:30am Magnus (211)

12:15pm Lulu (614 across from emily)

1:00pm Anamika

5:15pm Cecilia (416 4th floor foundation)

6:00pm Ray (If you haven't signed up yet, we'll bring a sheet to class with more slots in the coming weeks.)

📰

In the news, for discussion:

New York Adopts Free Tuition

SUNY and CUNY students from families with incomes up to $125,000 will not pay tuition. But some aid experts are alarmed by requirement that graduates stay in state for same number of years they receive the benefit. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/04/08/new-york-state-reaches-deal-provide-free-tuition-suny-and-cuny-students

🏁

Here's a link to the banner idea doc that Emily shared everybody on last week: "i think we should full haul a bunch of images and text into it. let's get as many thoughts in one place as possible that we can pull from when we congregate alas. I want to meet Monday after class 5:15-6 and start actually working on stuff next week!"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_2whQqCYBr0gAIxpytl-6VFnzIAoZJ0QUGKkYZmRdhI/edit?usp=sharing

(See her email on the last thread from April 5 for more!)

4/2/17: Class 25: 5 minute presentations + mission discussion + studio visits

Hi Projects class,

See at 2pm on Monday 4/3!


  • 5 minutes*


We'll get started on the 5-minute project presentations from everybody. If you're feeling stuck or your project feels outdated, speak to what you'd like to be doing now and going forward =E2=80=94 what feels actionabl= e or meaningful now? Also maybe name a project or two that feels adjacent to your work.


  • Mission*


We'll also spend ~an hour of class continuing our ongoing discussion around the mission. The plan is to devote a little bit of class time each week to this through the end of the semester, as a shared project for grounding and processing.


For more on the history and purpose of the mission, check out this amazing PDF prepared by librarian Julie Castelluzzo: "Mission Vision 1988 - 2015[1]" with ~60 pages of research. Julie is currently serving on the Mission and Goals subcommittee of the Middle States accreditation process[2].


It's also worth briefly perusing CUAA's index of candidate bio/statements[3] to get a sense of who's running for Alumni Association Council and Alumni Trustee positions. Each candidate had to write a kind of personal mission statement about what Cooper means to them and how they see themselves contributing.


  • Studio visits*


Monday 4/3

* *11:30am* OPEN
* *12:15pm* Jakey (611)
* *1:00pm *Xavier (616)
* *5:15pm* Raphael
* *6:00pm *Rachel (2nd floor back corner by day's office)
* *6:45pm* Dempzil (9?)


Monday 4/10

* *11:30am* Magnus (211)
* *12:15pm *Lulu (614 across from emily)
* *1:00pm *Anamika
* *5:15pm* Cecilia (416 4th floor foundation)
* *6:00pm *Ray
* *6:45pm *OPEN


Links:

 1. http://library.cooper.edu/tf/mission-vision_1988-2015.pdf
 2. https://cooper.edu/about/middle-states
 3. http://cooperalumni.org/election-2017/

3/21/17: Class 24: Cecilia presentation + 5 min presentations from everybody

Hey Projects class,

For this coming Monday, everybody please come prepared to present on your project for 5 minutes. We'll keep time, doing a back-to-back round with everyone. Consider this a chance to share where you're at — wherever that may be — and to think, as a class, about how we can help each other. Feel free to bring in any kind of notes/material/byproducts/work-in-progress, or just talk.

We'll also hear a full presentation from Cecilia.

- - -

Additionally, Vic and I set up a doodle if you'd like to sign up for a studio visit with us, before or after class on the coming two Mondays. We've already had really good discussions this semester with Dempzil, Jake, Emily, Sarah, Stefany, Owen and Delaney.

http://doodle.com/poll/3seywn4d3ixhdvgf

This is optional, and could function as a studio visit, workshopping of your project, an informal check-in, or anything that'd be useful. We can talk about loose ends, map out resources, and maybe establish recurring meetings. If we've already met, you're welcome to sign up again, and if we run out of slots we'll just add more in the coming weeks. Reply to AllReply to SenderForward

3/18/17: Class 23: Discussion with Zoe Salzman, CSCU attorney

Hi Projects class,


Hope you had a good spring break! We'll see you on Monday at 2pm. In the beginning of class we'll have a little bit of time to regroup and discuss the CSCU documents together.


From 4-5pm we'll be joined by Zoe Salzman[1], a partner at law firm Emery Celli Brinckerhoff & Abady[2], which represented the Committee to Save Cooper Union in their lawsuit. Here's their press release[3] on the settlement.


Before class, please take some time to revisit the three legal documents, available on CSCU's website[4]: Justice Bannon=E2=80=99s Decisio= n[5], Cross Petition[6] (Includes AG Investigative Findings), and Consent Decree[7].


You can also listen to=C2=A060 minutes of Q+A[8]=C2=A0with the legal team, = from when they visited Nonstop Cooper, so that we can build on questions which have already been asked.

Links:

 1. http://www.ecbalaw.com/our-people/zoe-salzman/
 2. http://www.ecbalaw.com/
 3. http://www.ecbalaw.com/ecba-settles-case-challenging-tuition-at-the-cooper-union/
 4. http://savecooperunion.org/
 5. http://savecooperunion.org/img/downloads/Cooper_Union_Decision_and_Order_on_Motion_Dkt_158_12-16-15_00235894x9CCC2.pdf
 6. http://savecooperunion.org/img/downloads/Filed_Cooper_Union_Proposed_Verified_Cross-Petition_of_Intervenor_AG_of_NY_Dkt_139_9-2-15_(00225492x9CCC2).pdf
 7. http://savecooperunion.org/img/downloads/Filed_Cooper_Union_Proposed_Verified_Cross-Petition_of_Intervenor_AG_of_NY_Dkt_139_9-21-15.pdf
 8. https://youtu.be/IBZyxFG-mYo

3/6/17: Class 22: Visit to Lubalin Center w/ Sasha Tochilovsky + discussion and/or presentations from Sarah, Xavier, and Cecilia

Hey Projects class,


We'll meet today at 2pm in 901 NAB. If Sarah, Xavier, and/or Cecilia are ready, we'll hear presentations from them. Otherwise they can present next class, and we'll have some time today to catch up on our discussions and all the goings on. Did everyone see Laura's campus notice[1]?


- - -


At 3:45 we'll head to the Lubalin Study Center for Design and Typography[2] to meet with Sasha Tochilovsky[3], who is the center's curator, as well as an associate professor of design, and alumnus of the School of Art.


After Cooper he attended Cranbook[4], and ran a design studio called ME/AT in New York with Mike Essl. In 2010 Sasha co-founded the Type@Cooper[5] postgraduate certificate program.


The Lubalin center was founded under former dean George Sadek[6], who we heard a bit about from Steven Hillyer ("Hejduk and Sadek!"), to archive the work of alumnus Herb Lubalin[7], and has since grown to include over 50,000 items across the field of design history. In 2015 the center celebrated its 30th anniversary[8], with an exhibition[9] co-curated by Mike Essl and Sasha, and they've also run exhibits on pharmaceutical design[10], and New York design studios[11]. You can see more at Aiga[12] and Curbed[13], and as well as in Cooper's video interview with Sasha[14] and the other two archivists.


Like the other archives, the center is mostly open by appointment, but Lubalin has a robust social media presence, with a widely-followed Instagram account[15], and an active=C2=A0Twitter[16] and Flickr[17]. Sasha also recently produced an online series called Flat File[18], which presents deep research on one item at a time from the Lubalin's collection in the form of a highly-stylized photo/video essay.

Links:

  1. http://cooperalumni.org/letter-from-cooper-union-president-laura-sparks-3217/
  2. http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu
  3. https://cooper.edu/art/people/alexander-tochilovsky
  4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranbrook_Educational_Community#Cranbrook_Academy_of_Art
  5. http://coopertype.org
  6. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/arts/design/11sadek.html
  7. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Lubalin
  8. https://cooper.edu/about/news/lubalin-center-30
  9. https://cooper.edu/events-and-exhibitions/exhibitions/thirty
 10. http://cooper.edu/events-and-exhibitions/exhibitions/pharma
 11. http://imageofthestudio.com
 12. https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/you-can-touch-me-visiting-the-herb-lubalin-study-center-of-design-and-typography/
 13. http://ny.curbed.com/2015/10/21/9908902/inside-a-hidden-new-york-city-museum-devoted-to-graphic-design
 14. http://cooper.edu/about/news/cooper-cooper-episode-3-coopers-archivists
 15. https://www.instagram.com/lubalincenter/
 16. https://twitter.com/lubalincenter
 17. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lubalincenter/
 18. http://flatfile.lubalincenter.com

2/27/17: Class 21: Mike Essl + presentations from Anamika, Magnus, Cecilia

Hey Projects class,


Hope you had a good break. We'll see you on Monday at 2pm in 901 NAB.


For the first part of class we'll be joined for discussion by Mike Essl[1] (rescheduled from several weeks ago). Mike is a school of art '96 alumnus, associate professor of graphic design, co-founder of The Committee to Save Cooper Union[2], and acting dean[3] of the School of Art.


In the second half of class we'll hear presentations from Anamika, Magnus, and Cecilia.


- - -


Other links of interest:


Laura Sparks has made available a bunch of opportunities for meeting/discussion[4] =E2=80=94 sign up!


Board chair Rachel Warren sent her first newsletter[5]. It includes a link to the first Annual Report of the Financial Monitor[6], which came out of the CSCU settlement.


Feel free to reply or reply-all with any other links or readings on your mind.

Links:

 1. http://cooper.edu/art/people/mike-essl
 2. http://savecooperunion.org/
 3. http://cooper.edu/art/news/meet-deans-mike-essl
 4. http://cooper.edu/about/president/campus-conversations
 5. http://cooper.imodules.com/controls/email_marketing/admin/email_marketing_email_viewer.aspx?sid=3D1289&eiid=3D2240&seiid=3D2893&usearchive=3D1&puid=3D6a98258b-67c8-4d88-8aeb-4c8b3c5a34cc&csid=3D301462
 6. https://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/Financial%20Monitor%20Annual%20Report%202-15-17.rev.pdf

2/11/17: Class 20: Richard Stock + presentations from Cecilia, Anamika, Chester, Magnus, Stefany

Hey Projects class,


See you on Monday at 2pm in 901 NAB. In the first half of class we'll hear more presentations, and in the second half we'll be joined for discussion by acting dean of engineering Richard Stock. (And there will be an actual break this time!!)


- - -


  • Presentations*

We've got Cecilia, Anamika, Chester, Magnus, and Stefany on the calendar for this week. If we don't get through everybody, we'll bump any remaining presentations to the following class, which will be February 27 after founder's day break. (Thanks for the great presentations last week, Ray, Jess, Leo, and Rachel.)


  • + Guest: Richard Stock*

At ~3:15 we'll be joined for discussion by Richard Stock[1], professor of chemical engineering[2], acting dean of the school of engineering, and former president of CUFCT[3] (Cooper Union Federation of College Teachers, a.k.a. the union for full-time faculty members).


Further reading: "Meet the Deans" interview[4], alumni association interview[5].


See also, letters published in Richard's time as CUFCT president: a 2015 memorandum[6] on computer science, and 2014 memorandum[7] on CSCU's lawsuit.


- - -


👯💃👯‍♂️🕺


On Sunday 2/12 at 2pm, Terror Pigeon[8] is world-premiering a 30 minute surround-sound laydown, which he's been workshopping in Vic's basement over the past month. You're invited!


  • TPSSLD is a new show I'm building this winter. It's a set of mostly

brand new TP music performed for an audience that is lying on the ground. The music is performed in hexaphonic sound, with a speaker in each corner and a subwoofer on each side of the audience all operating independently, creating a lush, serene, and for brief moments, punishing, soundscape. The show is a half hour long. Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets, pillows, foam, thermarests, and big stuffed animals to the show for their comfort. Air mattresses cannot be accommodated for spatial and sonic reasons.*


After class on Monday 2/13...a Babycastles valentines day celebration, 7-10pm...come for the extreme romance music of CUTE BOYS and DJ KICKFLIP...stay for the valentine making: https://www.facebook.com/events/597710700412695/=C2=A0(137 W 14th St. near union square)

Links:

 1. https://cooper.edu/engineering/people/richard-j-stock
 2. http://engfac.cooper.edu/stock
 3. http://cooper.edu/work/cooper-union-federation-college-teachers
 4. http://cooper.edu/engineering/about/news/meet-deans-richard-stock
 5. http://cooperalumni.org/interview-with-acting-dean-richard-stock/
 6. https://www.facebook.com/FreeCooperUnion/posts/807132036034283
 7. http://savecooperunion.org/img/downloads/cscu_CUFCT_Reaction.pdf
 8. http://terrorpigeon.us

2/4/17: Class 19: Mike Essl + presentations from Ray, Leo, Cecilia, Jessica + Rachel project update

Hey Projects class,

See you on Monday at 2pm in 901 NAB!

For the first part of class we'll be joined for discussion by Mike Essl[1], school of art '96 alumnus associate professor of graphic design, co-founder of The Committee to Save Cooper Union[2], and acting dean[3] of the School of Art.

In the second half of class, we'll hear short presentations from Ray, Leo, Cecilia, Jessica, (and Ella?). And Rachel has updates on a project proposed last semester.

Also, passing on contact info for those who had further archive questions, or wanted to schedule followup research visits, please be in touch with=C2=A0Katie[4]=C2=A0(blumenkr@cooper.edu) and=C2=A0Steven[5] (hillye2@cooper.edu) directly.

Links:

 1. http://cooper.edu/art/people/mike-essl
 2. http://savecooperunion.org/
 3. http://cooper.edu/art/news/meet-deans-mike-essl
 4. http://cooper.edu/academics/people/katie-blumenkrantz
 5. http://cooper.edu/academics/people/steven-hillyer

1/24/17: Class 18: Visit to Cooper Archive w/ Katie Blumenkrantz & Architecture Archive w/ Steven Hillyer

Hi Projects class!

We'll see you on Monday 1/30. We've got a double archive visit planned, but we'll meet first at 2pm in room 901 NAB, and head over together.

For those of you who were with us last semester or have already spent time in either archive, both Katie and Steven have offered to pull additional materials that are relevant to your research interests.

  • Please reply with requests for anything you'd specifically like to see

or revisit by Friday 1/27 and we will forward those along.*

First we'll visit assistant archivist Katie Blumenkrantz[1], who will give us a tour of the Cooper Archive[2], and tell us about the general history and current state of the library.

After that, we'll visit Steven Hillyer[3], director of the Architecture Archive, which houses everything from building plans to publications to recent student work. It's definitely worth perusing the online timeline[4] which they've put together. They are also working on a new digital archive of student work[5], funded by a federal grant.


See also, this video of a conversation[6] between three of the school's archivists. (We'll visit Sasha at the Lubalin Archive later in the semester.)

- - -

We also started a Google Drive folder[7] with everybody here on it, and added an empty doc[8] for whoever is interested in the collective mapping project which Walid mentioned to self-organize. Feel free to jump in to the folder and edit, add documents, drop in new or old things, however is useful for you.

Links:

 1. http://cooper.libguides.com/katie
 2. http://library.cooper.edu/archive/cooper_archives_frameset.html
 3. http://cooper.edu/architecture/people/steven-hillyer
 4. http://archweb.cooper.edu/exhibitions/archatcooper/intro.html
 5. http://cooper.edu/about/news/architecture-archive-awarded-grant
 6. http://cooper.edu/about/news/cooper-cooper-episode-3-coopers-archivists
 7. https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B5TTgpc7dScaVVFpOUh5RzhOSUk
 8. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v7gtl9iNkvpYHvkD_ijKm8uutwaNPK4Yllp1IOHS40o/edit

1/22/17: Class 16 + 17 links and readings

We'll see you this Monday at 2pm, in 901 NAB. Nader Tehrani[1], the new Dean of Architecture, should be joining us for half of the class. See also: his page[2] on the Cooper website, letter[3] and interview[4].

Wiki:

Here is the class wiki, that was mentioned:

http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com[5]

As you can see, it's pretty rudimentary but contains some useful pa= ges and collections. It's open for you to register and edit — p= lease feel welcome to poke around, make changes, and ask for help if you're interested in contributing.

  • Presentation schedule (Spring 2017)[6]
  • List of Meetings[7] so far
  • List of Documents[8] we've reviewed (this section needs some organization). This folder of readings on Dropbox[9] might be easier to navigate.
  • Class emails[10] from last semester, which might help fill in some context for anyone just coming in.

Readings:

Cooper's Course Catalog[11] and specifically, for this week, the se= ction on Architecture[12]. January 15 progress report[13] from the Free Education Committee[14]. Letter from Laura Sparks[15], announcing that she will be hosting a community gathering in the Great Hall on Tuesday January 24, from 12:15-2pm. Also, Magnus sent along this New York Times article: Some Colleges Have More Students From the Top 1 Percent Than the Bottom 60. Find Yours.[16] If you dig you'll find Cooper in their dataset. Maybe we can make a kind of digest for sharing readings and news going forward, but for now here's what we have. (Let's continue workshopp= ing better ways to share resources!)

Links:

  1. https://cooper.edu/architecture/people/nader-tehrani
  2. https://cooper.edu/architecture/people/nader-tehrani
  3. https://cooper.edu/architecture/letter-dean-nader-tehrani
  4. https://cooper.edu/architecture/news/meet-deans-nader-tehrani
  5. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/
  6. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Presentation_schedule_(Spring_2017)
  7. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Category:Meetings
  8. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Category:Documents
  9. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nv9fflbbjnyif60/AAClt0S7jexN1y42UH9ggASea?dl=3D0
 10. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Class_Emails
 11. http://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/catalogs/CUCatalog15-16.pdf
 12. http://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/2015/Arch_34-48.pdf
 13. http://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/2017/FEC-PROGRESS-REPORT_20170115sm.pdf
 14. http://cooper.edu/about/trustees/fec
 15. https://cooper.edu/about/president/sparks/messages/welcome-president-sparks-january-2017
 16. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/18/upshot/some-colleges-have-more-students-from-the-top-1-percent-than-the-bottom-60.html

12/21/16: Thank you! Self-grading, reflections, documentation.

Hey Projects class,

Thank you to everybody who participated in Projects this past semester! While we were prepared (if nobody enrolled) to spend forty-five hours meeting as just the three of us, the questions, insights, and research that you all bring to the class has already drawn out some really exciting and unexpected resonances. We're looking forward to a second semester together, moving all of our projects forward, while continuing the class's ongoing inquiries and debates around Cooper Union as a system, context, and sometimes subject.

(And thanks for presenting in our final week, Owen, Emily, Rachel, Madeleine, and Suzy.)

Self-grading, due Wed 12/28. Please grade yourself, and submit to the three of us via email what letter grade you'd like us to put down.

Reflections. The three of us will meet in January to reflect and plan for the coming semester. If you've got reflections or feedback, we'd like to hear. Please be in touch with any or all of us about that. Also, if there are walkthroughs or visitors you'd find useful in the spring, let us know ASAP and we will try to arrange for them.

Documentation. Please submit your presentation files, and any other Projects documentation from the fall semester, here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/N8keQX1OrLiyoUEXd6zr

Dropbox will ask for your name, so we have it attributed — and we won't share anything without your permission. This will help us greatly in our ongoing processing of your ideas, and tracing the arc of everyone's projects. (Feel free to also submit phone pix, links, notes, unrealized thoughts, etc. If we don't hear from you, we'll be in touch individually later on.)

Spring semester. It looks like we'll be joined by some new people in the spring. Everybody is invited to continue participating regardless of enrollment. Class will continue on Mondays from 2-5pm. However, our first class of next semester will take place on Tuesday January 17 from 2-5pm, due to holiday scheduling. We'll send a reminder closer to the date of class. Have a great break!

12/11/16: Class 14: Projects presentations and discussion w/ Dempzil, Jesse, Emily, Jakob

Hey Projects class,

Looking forward to presentations tomorrow (12/12) from Dempzil, Jesse, Emily, and Jakob. Mauricio is also interested in collecting and discussing any ideas related to the mission documents he distributed two weeks ago, so everybody bring your ideas on that.

For the following week — our last class of the semester! — on 12/19, we have Owen and Rachel, as well as open slots for anyone who never signed up.

Also, if you're free after class, you're invited to a presentation Vic and I are giving at The New School at 6:30pm, on the idea of the "Nonstop," which should be a casual and fun potluck.

http://www.veralistcenter.org/engage/event/2031/why-are-we-here-----tormenting-one-another-in-the-middle-of-nbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbspnbsp-nbspnbspnbspnbsp-/

Casey

12/4/16: Class 13: Projects presentations and discussion w/ Gabriela, Lulu, Mayaan, and Suzy

Hey Projects class!

Looking forward to presentations tomorrow from Gabriela, Lulu, Mayaan, and Suzy.

Also attaching the rest of the schedule as it currently stands. Trying not to cramp anybody's time, since we've been able to get through about 4 presentations a week so far.


12/5

* Gabriela
* Lulu
* Maayan
* Suzy

12/12

* Dempzil
* Jesse
* Emily
* Jakob

12/19

* Owen
* Rachel
*  
*  

11/27/16: Class 12: Projects presentations and discussion w/ Ian, Maya, Jake, Gabriela, Walid

Hey Projects class!

Looking forward to more presentations and discussion tomorrow. We've got Ian, Maya, Jake, Gabriela, and Walid on the calendar. (And maybe quick check-ins if anyone has updates on projects or things on your mind.)

Full schedule is here:

http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Presentation_schedule_(Fall_2016)

11/20/15: Class 11: Projects presentations and discussion w/ Casey, Vic, Walid, Delaney, and Raf=

Hey Projects class,

Tomorrow we'll begin several weeks of presenting and discussing projects with each other. Tomorrow we'll hear from me, Vic, Walid, Delaney, and Raf.

These can be done in any format that makes sense for you, and are mostly intended to help give the rest of the group ideas about how we can help each other move our questions, thinking, and projects forward.

Here's the schedule for the next few weeks (also pasted below):

http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Presentation_schedule_(Fall_2016)

If you're not on the list yet, please write back with your preferred date and I'll update the wiki.

Casey

- - -

11/21 - Vic - Casey - Walid - Delaney - Raf

11/28 - Ian - Maya - Lulu - Jake -

12/5 - Rachel - Suzy - Jesse - Dempzil -

12/12 - - - - -

12/19 - - - - -

11/14/16: Class 10: Discussion w/ Javier from Buildings and Grounds + Project Presentations

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class 10: Discussion w/ Javier from Buildings and Grounds + Project Presentations

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:18:18 -0500

Hey Projects class,

We'll meet at 2pm in 414 today for a discussion with Javier from Buildings and Grounds. There's no presentation, so come with questions!

After that, Walid, Victoria, and I will share a bit about projects that we've been thinking about and working on.

We'll also figure out who wants to present when, over the coming two weeks.

p.s. here's the link to the Dropbox for uploading documentation from visits, and any other research or documents you'd like to share with the class (nobody has used this yet):

https://www.dropbox.com/request/N8keQX1OrLiyoUEXd6zr?oref=e

Casey

11/06/16: Class 9: Presentation/discussion w/ Chris Cloud, VP Development

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class 9: Presentation/discussion w/ Chris Cloud, VP Development

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 22:04:04 -0400

Hey Projects class!

We'll be joined on Monday at 2pm by Chris Cloud[1] , Interim Vice President of Alumni Affairs and Development. Here's a bit more on his professional background[2]. We'll meet in 414 Fdn., and walk over to the office at 30 Cooper to check it out after our discussion, if there's time.

p.s. here's the link to the Dropbox for uploading your documentation from our various visits, and any other research or documents you'd like to share with the class:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/N8keQX1OrLiyoUEXd6zr?oref=e

Links:

 1. http://cooper.edu/academics/people/chris-cloud
 2. https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-cloud-7b42281

10/30/16: Class 8: Fish House walkthrough + wiki & documentation + Gersten readings

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class 8: Fish House walkthrough + wiki & documentation + Gersten readings

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 20:13:02 -0400

Hey Projects class,

See you on Monday at 2pm in 414. At 2:15, we'll head over together to the Fish House for a tour from Buildings & Grounds staff. This probably isn't going to take the whole class time, so after the walkthrough we can continue our discussions of projects and readings, including the Course Catalog[1].

- - -

It looks like Cooper's Form 990 for 2014[2] (disclosing lots of financial info) was recently published online. Worth a look and discussion, if you have a chance to peruse it.

- - -

I've been working on some updates to the Wiki[3], starting to form structured collections of Documents[4] we've reviewed, Meetings[5], and Class Email[6] announcements. If you've used Wikipedia, it should be straightforward enough to navigate this, and you're welcome to contribute however you find useful either directly or through talking with me. I'm happy to talk more about how to use this with anyone who's interested. My hope is to build a bit of a resource as we go, even if it's just for our reflections together.

- - -

If you've got pictures from our trips together so far (quarry, archives, walkthroughs, etc.), we'd love to start collating what everyone is taking note of, visually. You can drop batches of files onto this Dropbox URL, and they'll be attributed with your name. Once we've have a chance to sort things out I'll share the folder with everyone. We'll also include a link for photos from last week in emails going forward.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/N8keQX1OrLiyoUEXd6zr?oref=e

- - -

Finally, see attached for a bunch of readings from David Gersten!

Links:

 1. http://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/catalogs/CUCatalog15-16.pdf
 2. http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2015/135/562/2015-135562985-0ccc433b-9.pdf
 3. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page
 4. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Category:Documents
 5. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Category:Meetings
 6. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Class_Emails

10/22/16: Re: Class #7: Gersten Walkthrough + Course Catalog + Nonstop Dinner Sunday

Subject: Re: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #7: Gersten Walkthrough + Course Catalog + Nonstop Dinner Sunday

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:45:55 -0400

Hey all! Just a quick reminder to RSVP if you're coming for dinner and discussion in Brooklyn tomorrow (Sun) at 7pm with Lincoln Alpern from Nonstop Institute. We'll also be joined by some other Antiochians and friends, and maybe screen some videos after. Should be a good time.

10/19/16: Class #7: Gersten Walkthrough + Course Catalog + Nonstop Dinner Sunday

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #7: Gersten Walkthrough + Course Catalog + Nonstop Dinner Sunday

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:13:15 -0400

Hey Projects class,

Cooper's course catalog is attached. Please read!

Versions going back to 2008 are available online, and Katie can probably dig up older versions from the Archive if any historical questions come up: http://www.cooper.edu/students/registrar/course-catalog

- - -

On *Monday 10/24* we'll be joined by David Gersten for a Foundation Building walkthrough. See you then!

- - -


On *Sunday 10/23 at 7pm *you're invited to a casual dinner at Vic's place in Bushwick, BK with our friend Lincoln Alpern a student of the former Antioch College[1] who was also deeply involved with the Nonstop Institute[2]. *Please RSVP by Friday *with your availability (and any dietary restrictions), and we'll plan accordingly.

In 2008, Antioch's board actually shut down their college, due to financial mismanagement not so different from what happened at Cooper. In its absence the Nonstop Antioch movement independently and rigorously organized a school in exile. Lots to learn from them.

See also: this NYT article *"Can Antioch College Return From the Dead Again?"[3]*, as well as the Antioch documents scattered throughout the pink Reflections I book[4].

Links:

 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioch_College
 2. http://nonstopinstitute.org
 3. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/can-antioch-college-return-from-the-dead-again.html
 4. http://freecooperunion.org/reflections-i.pdf

10/07/16: Re: Class #4: Friday 10/7, 2-5pm, 215 Fdn. w/ Jeff Scudder

Subject: Re: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #4: Friday 10/7, 2-5pm, 215 Fdn. w/ Jeff Scudder

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 11:36:43 -0400

Hey all,

Just a reminder that we're meeting with Jeff today at 2pm in room 215 Fdn (at the end of the hall on the second floor).

See ya soon!

10/04/16: Class #4: Friday 10/7, 2-5pm, 215 Fdn. w/ Jeff Scudder

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #4: Friday 10/7, 2-5pm, 215 Fdn. w/ Jeff Scudder

Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:33:02 -0400

Hey Projects class,

See you this Friday 10/7, 2-5pm, room 215 (Foundation Building), with guest Jeff Scudder. Apologies to those who can't make it due to scheduling conflicts—we'll see you all this coming Monday.

Also, if you want to join us for a full three-day bender of Jeff events...on Thursday 10/6: Encounter: Explained Pictures from 6:30pm-8pm at The New School...and on Saturday 10/8: Scudderowsky's 'Tune a double-feature at Vic's place in Brooklyn with performances from Jeff as well as an improv crew headed by Tao Yang. Should be a fun 6/7/8!

See below for a scatter of notes, screenshots, and links from our Monday work session. Thanks to all who stopped by! https://www.figma.com/file/ftuU1tSn0AKdbZJnyLf3IZnT/Projects-3.5

10/03/16: Re: Class #4 w/ Jeff Scudder + upcoming events and classes

Subject: Re: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #4 w/ Jeff Scudder + upcoming events and classes

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 10:52:33 -0400

Hey all, just some quick reminders:

📆

Please let us know your availability (or unavailability) for class on Friday w/ Jeff Scudder, here:

http://doodle.com/poll/qx7rgws6fgb9dyxt

And email us if you'd like to show/discuss something you've been working on—it doesn't have to be projects-specific, just anything you might want to talk about with Jeff and the class. We're still looking for several people!

🔮

Also, on Thursday evening (6:30-8pm) we're hosting an encounter with Jeff at The New School (near Union Square), with drawings/performance and a conversation. You're invited! Also, free + open to the public if you wanna bring a friend.

💻

Vic and I will be around today from 2-5 for an open work session in the sculpture room, so feel free to come by and work on/talk about questions, readings, and projects. We're gonna try to bring a projector and printer.

✌️

09/27/16: Class #4 w/ Jeff Scudder + upcoming events and classes

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #4 w/ Jeff Scudder + upcoming events and classes

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:02:51 -0400

Hey Projects class,

We're not meeting officially this coming Monday 10/3. Victoria and I will hold an informal work session in the sculpture room from 2-5pm, if anybody wants to join us during our regular time. We'll probably be going over some of the documents we've shared, explore the wiki format, and collate questions and resources from our notes.

Instead of Monday, we'll have class on Friday 10/7 at Cooper, with guest Jeff Scudder.

Please respond here with your availability (10am-1pm or 1-5pm).

We're looking for 2-3 people to bring work (pre-existing or developing) to discuss, so email back if that's of interest, and we can send around a location and order once the details fall into place.

Here's more about Jeff:

Jeffrey Scudder lives and works in Maine and L.A. where he spends his time programming and making pictures. He currently teaches Digital Painting at UCLA Design Media Arts and taught previously at Parsons School for Design. Scudder received an MFA from Yale University School of Art in 2013 and worked previously at the design studio Linked by Air.

Also check out his website, teaching syllabi, web pages, drawings, instagram, and many picture-making websites/apps Finger Quilt, No Paint, Shrub, and Bug.

- - -

On Thursday 10/6, Victoria and I will also be hosting an Encounter: Explained Pictures from 6:30pm-8pm at The New School (U L104 University Center Lower Level, 63 Fifth Avenue). Jeff will draw several pictures and we'll have a discussion after touching on some of the threads we mentioned in class. Check out the event trailer.

- - -

Walid has also confirmed some building walkthroughs for the coming weeks, just so you have these on your radar:

10/10 Monday Building walkthrough with Diane Lewis + visit to Architecture Archive with Steven Hillyer. Steven recommends starting to peruse the online architecture timeline before then.

10/24 Monday Building walkthrough with David Gersten.

Links:

  1. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Documents
  2. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page
  3. http://doodle.com/poll/qx7rgws6fgb9dyxt
  4. http://www.rey.sc/
  5. https://1.digpain.org/
  6. http://www.linkedbyair.net/
  7. http://rey.sc/
  8. http://syl.rey.sc/
  9. http://www.rey.sc/index-0.html
 10. https://drawings.rey.sc/
 11. https://www.instagram.com/unrealornament/
 12. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/finger-quilt/id1153451161?mt=8
 13. https://www.nopaint.org/
 14. http://shrub.ooo/
 15. http://bugg.gg/
 16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmxATtWHDiA
 17. http://archweb.cooper.edu/exhibitions/archatcooper/intro.html

09/22/16: Class #3 readings, Bill Mea visit, wiki

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #3 readings, Bill Mea visit, wiki

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:27:11 -0400

Hey Projects class,

On Monday, we'll meet in the sculpture room, and then go upstairs together to visit Bill Mea. Consider any questions you might want to ask him!

Before class, please read/watch: Cooper Union Budget & Financial Projects, Fiscal Year 2016 Nonstop Cooper Think Tank #4: Presidential Search, September 2015 (VIDEO) Working Group Report, December 2013 CUFCT (Faculty Union) Contract

Links to the documents + video, and a running list of readings so far, are here: http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/wiki/Documents

As you find time, also keep reading/annotating the governances and legal documents. We ran out of time to discuss it all, but they'll surely keep coming up throughout our discussions.

As you'll see Victoria and I started a class wiki for collecting documents, resources, and questions. Feel free to make an account and poke around. We can talk more about how to use it as we go.

Casey

p.s. Walid confirmed a visit with Steven Hillyer, Director of the Architecture Archive, for October 10, so we can channel some of the building/site/history questions into that session. Steven recommends starting to peruse the online architecture timeline before then.

Links:

 1. http://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/2016/FY16_BoardReport_V.2.pdf
 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATSwO2wvBJU
 3. http://cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/2013/WrkingGrpRpt_1212.pdf
 4. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5TTgpc7dScaM0RPbUt2MDRtLXM
 5. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/
 6. http://projectsprojectsprojects.referata.com/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Main+Page&type=signup
 7. http://archweb.cooper.edu/exhibitions/archatcooper/intro.html

09/15/16: Class #2 location, readings, and discussion + archives resources

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] Class #2 location, readings, and discussion + archives resources

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:32:40 -0400

Hey Projects class,

Thanks for a great first meeting! Here are notes for this coming week on where to meet, what to read, and what we'll be discussing.

Location We'll meet this coming Monday 9/19 in the sculpture classroom (same place as last week). Later, we'll walk over to the former St. Marks Bookstore/Nonstop Cooper space together (31 Third Ave).

Readings Please read the attached School of Art Governance (20 pages), School of Architecture Governance (8 pages) & amendment (1 page) + Attorney General Cross Petition (56 pages) before class.

A note on the provenance of these docs: The School of Art governance is a scan of Walid's copy from when he was first hired. (I couldn't find it online, otherwise.) The two-part Architecture governance came by request from Claire Gunning in the library. The Attorney General document was downloaded from The Committee to Save Cooper Union's homepage, and is one of three documents linked there which are suggested but not required for this week, if you find it interesting to get the full picture of the legal documents.

This week's class + discussion Victoria and Jakob Biernat are going to give a presentation. We'll discuss this, along with current events (new president!?), the readings, and any questions you've come up with since last week.

Archives followup If you haven't poked around the Cooper Archives website, it's worth a look. The Library's Facebook page is funny, too. On their libguides site, you can see an overview of what they've got catalogued, including a folder-by-folder breakdown (which is helpful to reference when making requests). Please email Katie if you've got any archives questions or requests, she's here to help us navigate these things! (blumenkr@cooper.edu) Also worth checking out: the Architecture Archives timeline, including lots of facts, timelines, and images of the building and rebuilding of Cooper.

Links:

 1. http://savecooperunion.org/
 2. http://cooper.edu/about/news/new-president-announced-laura-sparks
 3. http://library.cooper.edu/archive/cooper_archives_frameset.html
 4. https://www.facebook.com/cooperunionlibrary/posts/1295732827112629
 5. http://cooper.libguides.com/content.php?pid=3D202186&search_terms=3Darchives
 6. http://archweb.cooper.edu/exhibitions/archatcooper/intro.html


09/01/16: First class + pre-class events

Subject: [Projects: The Cooper Union] First class + pre-class events

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 17:24:53 -0400

Hi projects class,

We're excited to see you all on Monday September 12th at 2pm. After meeting for introductions, we'll be visiting The Cooper Archives and speaking with our wonderful assistant archivist Katie Blumenkrantz.

We also wanted to invite you to a few events coming up before our first class. These are optional but encouraged.

NOTE: please RSVP to us as soon as possible if you are interested in joining us on our Brownstone Park/Quarry excursion (details below), because we need to reserve transportation in advance.

See you soon,

Casey, Victoria, and Walid

- - -

1. Saturday September 3rd

Peter Cooper Block Party

Free + Open to the Public

A bunch of the class is already involved in pulling together this year's Block Party—Emily is doing balloon arches + repping Art Student Council, Jasper and Maja are DJing, Owen is working on design and production, and Jacob is running A/V and helping Risograph some publications. Hope to see the rest of you come through. Please help spread the word! Lots more info on our Website + Facebook Event

Block Party — 12pm - 5pm 

Free + Open to the Public

@ Cooper Union, outside Foundation Building

Peter Cooper Movie Screening — 6pm

@ The Great Hall, 7 East 7th St.

Afterparty — 8:30pm - 11pm

@ 31 Third Ave. (former St. Marks Bookshop/Nonstop Cooper space)

2. Thursday September 8th, 6:30pm-8pm

Post-Democracy Paradise-Lost: Presentation by Casey Gollan and Victoria Sobel

@ The Vera List Center for Art and Politics at The New School, Wollman Hall, 65 West 11th Street, 5th floor

Free + Open to the Public

3. Sunday September 11th, all day

Bus Trip from NYC to Brownstone Park

@ Portland, Connecticut (2 hours north of NYC)

This present-day family-friendly waterpark is the site of the brownstone quarry out of which the Foundation Building was built. We might be swimming, or might just be taking a tour, or walking the perimeter. Let's see! 

Please RSVP if interested, and note that there may be shared costs for transportation and tickets, but don't let that stop you from indicating interest—we can try to work $ out once we have a reservation in place.

05/26/16: Projects Class meeting: Today at 4pm! (Thurs 5/26)

Subject: Projects Class meeting: Today at 4pm! (Thurs 5/26)

Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:56:18 -0400

Hey all, we're meeting on the 6th floor of Foundation Bldg. **today** (5/26) at 4pm. See you then.

Sorry for the typo in my earlier message which misstated the day as Friday!

Thanks to everyone who got back to us, we'll be in touch with more in the coming weeks.

05/23/16: Re: Projects Fall 2016 Class Meetup — Friday, May 26, 4pm

Subject: Re: Projects Fall 2016 Class Meetup — Friday, May 26, 4pm

Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 18:07:53 +0200

Hey projects class,

Just a reminder that we're meeting this week on Thursday at 4pm, Foundation Building, 6th floor.

Let us know if you can (or can't) make it! I think we've heard so far from Cooper, Dempzil, Suzy, and Agata.

- - -

Projects: The Cooper Union

Unfolding events in The Cooper Union are generating expected and unexpected sounds, images, forms, volumes, gestures, feelings, and concepts. In this class, we will attend (as in wait for and stretch toward) some of these.

As such we misunderstand The Cooper Union as a proposition constituted by and constituting missions, properties, bodies, languages, figures, among others.

We engage chronologies that may not settle; numbers that may not add up; bodies that come and go.

Co-taught by Walid Raad, Victoria Sobel, and Casey Gollan, the class is open to 2nd , 3rd and 1st semester 4th year students working in all media. The course is also expected to continue in Spring 2017, so students registering in the Fall are expected to make a 2-semester long commitment.

05/17/16: Projects Fall 2016 Class Meetup — Friday, May 26, 4pm

Subject: Projects Fall 2016 Class Meetup — Friday, May 26, 4pm

Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 19:07:35 -0400

Dear all,

In preparation for our upcoming Fall 2016 class, Projects, we would like to invite you to an initial meeting on Thursday the 26th at 4PM in The Cooper Union's Foundation Building 6th floor.

Please let us know if you can make it.

Best,

Casey, Victoria, and Walid